Wesley's Chapel
Chapel Interior

View of the Chapel looking towards the altar

Welcome to Wesley’s Chapel. The Chapel was opened on 1st November 1778 by John Wesley. The architect who designed the Chapel was George Dance the Younger, surveyor to the city of London. This accounts for the fine proportions of the Chapel, and some of its elegant features. Though as Wesley put it, the Chapel was ‘perfectly neat, but not fine.’

The Chapel has seen numerous changes in its 220 year history. Methodists who have felt an affinity with Wesley’s Chapel have donated many material items to represent their connection with this sacred place. The marble pillars were donated by Overseas Methodist Churches in 1891. The stained glass windows have been donated by various groups and individuals over many years.

Points of Interest
Windows Font Apse Pews
Pulpit Gallery Organ Foundery Chapel

Chapel Interior Courtyard Preaching Window Font Apse Pews Pulpit Gallery Organ Foundery Chapel

Courtyard | Interior | Windows | Font | Apse | Pews | Pulpit | Gallery | Organ | Foundery Chapel


Site © Wesley's Chapel & Leysian Mission 2008
49 City Road, London EC1Y 1AU